Singers : Singer Auditions
Applications are invited from all voice types for the 2017 Summer Season
Rehearsals in London from 17 July 2017 (although some participants will not be required until a later date)
Performances in London until 9 September 2017
Possible repertoire to include:
Mozart Don Giovanni
Mozart La finta giardiniera
Weir The Vanishing Bridegroom
Opera Workshops, Easter and Summer 2017
3 - 7 April and late-July/August at London South Bank University
BYO's Opera Workshop programme gives singers an opportunity in an intimate and closed environment to explore roles, character, the relationships between text and music, creativity and interpretation without the pressure of performance.
If you are studying at one of the following colleges please click on the name of your college to download a college-specific application form or click on the menu bar on the left of this page. When completed return it to the person specified on the form: Birmingham Conservatoire, Royal Conservatoire of Scotland, Royal Northern College of Music, Royal Welsh College of Music and Drama.
All other applicants, please download the general application form and return it to:
British Youth Opera
LSBU, 103 Borough Road
London SE1 0AA
N.B. Applications will only be accepted by post - no hand deliveries please.
Preliminary auditions will be held in London, Birmingham, Cardiff, Glasgow and Manchester during January 2017. Recall auditions will be held in London on 18, 19 and 25 February 2017.
Auditionees should prepare three contrasting arias, including one in English (this can be a translation). An accompanist will be provided.
All applications must be accompanied by a £20.00 payment towards the cost of auditions by bank transfer with a printout of the on-line payment receipt attached to your application form (to account name British Youth Opera, sort code 40-52-40, account number 00019314) or by cheque (payable to 'British Youth Opera').
Payments from candidates who are not selected for an audition will be refunded.
British Youth Opera is the UK's premier company for training new and emerging operatic talent.
It offers valuable opportunities for young singers to receive professional training in all aspects of opera through workshops and masterclasses, and to take part in rehearsals and performances in its annual Summer Season of opera.
BYO's primary purpose is to offer operatic experience to singers who have a serious aim of pursuing careers in opera performance, are at the start of their careers, and are new to the profession.
- To that end, in selecting singers for audition, BYO will give preference to applications from singers of any nationality who are studying full-time at a music college in the United Kingdom.
- BYO will also consider applications from singers who are about to start, or who have recently finished, such study in the United Kingdom.
- BYO may, at its discretion, consider applications from other singers resident in the UK, where such applications contain evidence that the applicant has a serious aim of pursuing a career in opera performance, is at the start of his or her career, and is new to the profession.
- All applications must be counter-signed by the applicant's singing teacher or vocal coach, confirming that the applicant would benefit from and is suitable for a training place with BYO.
- British Youth Opera is a training organisation; successful candidates do not pay to participate in the Summer Season (for which a contribution towards subsistence will be given) or the Opera Workshops.
- Accommodation in London can be provided for a limited number of successful applicants who would otherwise be unable to participate.
British Youth Opera regrets that it is unable to provide feedback on auditions and reserves the right to alter the proposed programme.